Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Garage Sale Countdown

Taylor has signed up for a trip to Washington, DC, in March of 2009. We agreed to pay half of her fee, but she must raise the other half. So there is to be a "benefit" garage sale to raise funds for her trip this Saturday. She has cleaned a lot of stuff out of her room to sell, and we have contributed some of our junk. But the organizers of the DC trip suggested that students go to other garage sales and offer to collect all items that do not sell, with the hope of selling them at their own sale.

This past Saturday Be and I and Jade went to some garage sales and at a few of them we mentioned about Taylor's fund raising effort. (Taylor was over at the Cooper's for the weekend. If you question why we would make this effort to help her, I think you can figure out where the money will come from if she does not raise it!) One lady took Be's telephone number and said she might call. Sure enough, about 2:00 that afternoon she called and said the items were stacked on the driveway and we could come get them. We took the GMC van and filled it about 2/3 full through the back seat. The people were very nice and helped us load the van. I think they felt sorry for me since I was wearing the boot.

We had also gone to an estate sale at the Roy Willingham house just down the street from us. Roy was a medical doctor and an elder at the University Church of Christ. We mentioned Taylor's situation to our friend Bonnie Willingham, and she asked Be to call her the following Monday to see if there was anything left Taylor could use. It turns out that there were a LOT of items, some of them very nice, left for us to choose from. This time we did not have to take everything, only the things we thought would sell. So Taylor, Be, and I loaded stuff from 4:30 to about 7:00 Monday evening. The van was FULL through the back seat. When I say full, many of you know my reputation for being able to pack, and I had one of my better days! I was exhausted that night, and this flurry of loading and unloading the van is why my post about Eddie Sharp was delayed.

So all of these items are now in our house ready to be sorted and labeled. Want to come help? I have been spending a fair amount of my time repairing some things in order to make them sell better. Some of that I can do with my foot up, but not much.

The pictures show the current state of our house. What a mess!

There is another interesting aspect regarding the sale at the Willingham's. That story will come in my next post.

1 comment:

Sharla said...

Can I come shopping in your garage? :)