Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bad News and Good News

First the good news. I had the stitches removed yesterday and my toe is doing great.

Now the bad news. The foot doctor has decided to go on vacation during the time when I should have had the pin removed and had the second toe work done. He neglected to tell me about this. I found out when we went to the scheduler to get an appointment to have the pin removed. She started scheduling me for a week later than it should be. Needless to say, I became an unhappy camper since I would be wearing the boot for an extra unnecessary week. Be was with me, so calmer heads prevailed. She suggested we just wait there at the Dr.'s office and talk to him to see if he would let someone else pull the pin at the proper time. So we waited--thirty minutes. When we were called in, we got to see his wife instead, who is also a podiatrist, and was actually the first one I saw when this ordeal started. She was sympathetic with my dilemma, but was unwilling to turn the task over to another doctor in their office. Three of the four doctors were to be gone at the same time, and the one remaining was going to be swamped.

Now some more good news. She inspected my foot and decided on an alternative action. She got a "splint" ready, and then went ahead and pulled the pin from my foot. With the splint on, I can wear the boot for the originally scheduled time, and then get rid of it. But I also can now get my toe wet, so tonight I can TAKE A SHOWER! Everyone here is happy about that.

Now some more bad news. I still have to wait until later to get my second surgery, so I will have to be wearing the boot when school starts.

Now a little good news. My second surgery would have been two weeks later than I was originally to have it, but Mrs. Dr. has started back to doing some surgery also. She had cut back her schedule because of her three young children. But she said that she could do the surgery a week before Mr. Dr. could, if that was okay with me. I readily agreed because I like her better than him. The end of the story is that I appear to be scheduled for the second surgery only a week later than originally planned.

We shall see. One thing I know. One week from the day after tomorrow, I am taking the boot OFF, and then I can drive again.

2 comments:

Groakin said...

"One week from the day after tomorrow, I am taking the boot OFF..." unless you get more bad news ;-).

Tuell said...

So... did it hurt when she pulled the pin out?? Lenna said you thought it wouldn't hurt, but she begged to differ. Inquiring minds want to know.