Saturday, February 20, 2010

Musings: Standing In The Gap, by Becky Green

While at M. D. Anderson, we do lots of walking around from place to place for appointments, mailing letters, exercising by walking 30 minutes a day across the Skybridge, going to the indoor park for lunch, attending classes provided by the Wellness Center, plus lots of ups and downs on stairs and escalators, but mostly on elevators. I have noticed that as one steps into the elevator, a “ring” occurs that continues until entering the elevator. I have also noticed that if one wants to hold the elevator for a husband or another patient or family member, one can stand in that gap between outside the elevator and inside, the “ring” will continue and the elevator will wait. So, I began thinking about “standing in the gap.”

I see a lot of “standing in the gap” around M. D. Anderson - nurses, bus drivers, caregivers and other patients. And it occurred to me that standing in the gap is something that we can do for others, sometimes with only a little effort. All it requires is a need and someone who is able and willing to fill the need. For example, if I see someone approaching an elevator, sometimes I will “stand in the gap” so the person can catch the elevator and not have to wait. Easy! But there are myriads of other ways one can stand in the gap. All we need is eyes to see and a willingness to serve.

Sometimes it only takes one person to stand in the gap and fill a need. Ezekiel 22:30 tells of one of those times: “I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none.” So the Lord said that he would consume them with his fiery anger. So sad. It would have taken only one.

Sometimes standing in the gap requires a lot. I recall a mountain climbing trip when a particular juncture required a “committing step.” The gap was too wide for me to cross, so my son wedged his body in the gap and I was able to step across safely on his back. But of course, the supreme example of standing in the gap requiring a lot, was our Lord Jesus. He gave his life, stood in the gap between man and God and paved the way from our earthly home to our heavenly home. May we follow his example, obey God’s will and stand in the gap for others.

No comments: